Uwe Truyen graduated at the Hannover Veterinary School in 1986 and did his postgraduate studies at the Hannover Veterinary School, the James A Baker Institute at Cornell University in Ithaca, and the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich.
He obtained his Ph.D. equivalent (Habilitation) in virology in 1995 in Munich, and was appointed Professor for Molecular Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases in 1999. In 2003 he was appointed Professor for Epidemiology at the Veterinary Faculty of the University of Leipzig, and in 2006, he accepted the Professorship for Animal Hygiene and Control of Epidemic Diseases and the chair of the Institute of Animal Hygiene and Veterinary Public Health at the University of Leipzig. He served as the dean of the Veterinary faculty in Leipzig from 2010-2013.
He is a board certified specialist (Fachtierarzt) for Microbiology, for Virology, for Animal Hygiene, and for Epidemiology. He is Diplomate of the European College of Veterinary Microbiology (ECVM).
His main interest has been for many years the molecular epidemiology of carnivore parvoviruses and feline caliciviruses, but has shifted in recent years to hygiene management and disinfection.
He was the editor-in-chief (Virology) of Veterinary Microbiology, and is currently chairman of the German standing veterinary vaccination committee (StIKo Vet), and chairman of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Federal Research Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR).
Uwe Truyen is married and has three children.
My list of 10 selected publications:
- Kaaden, O.-R., U. Truyen, M. H. Groschup, E. Kaiser, A. Uysal, H. Kretzschmar, J. Pohlenz und E. Dahme (1994). Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Germany. J. Vet. Med. B 41, 294-304.
- Truyen, U., A. Gruenberg, S.-F. Chang, P. Veijalainen, B. Obermaier und C. R. Parrish (1995). Evolution of the feline subgroup parvoviruses and the control of canine host range. J. Virol. 69, 4702-4710.
- Geissler, K., K. Schneider, A. Fleuchaus, C. R. Parrish, G. Sutter und U. Truyen (1999). Feline calicivirus capsid protein expression and capsid assembly in cultured feline cells. J. Virol. 73, 834-838.
- Shackelton, L.A., C.R. Parrish, U. Truyen und E. C. Holmes. 2005. High Rate of Viral Evolution Associated with the Emergence of Carnivore Parvovirus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA102, 379-384.
- S. Wilhelm, S. Essbauer und U. Truyen. 2008. Substitution of vaccinia virus Elstree by modified vaccinia virus Ankara MVA to test the virucidal efficacy of chemical disinfectants. Zoonoses and Public Health 55, 99-105.
- Köhler, A.T., Rodloff, A.C., Labahn, M., Reinhardt, M., Truyen, U., Speck, S. 2019. Evaluation of disinfectant efficacy against multidrug-resistant bacteria: a comprehensive analysis of different methods. Am J Infect Control. 2019 47(10):1181-1187.
- Eisenlöffel L, Reutter T, Horn M, Schlegel S, Truyen U, Speck S. 20.19. Impact of UVC-sustained recirculating air filtration on airborne bacteria and dust in a pig facility. PLoS One. 14(11):e0225047.
- Streck, A.F., Canal,C.W., Truyen. 2022. Viral fitness and antigenic determinants of porcine parvovirus at the amino acid level of the capsid protein.J Virol. 26; 96(2) 01198-21.
- Abd El Wahed, A., Patel, P., Maier, M., Pietsch, C., Rüster, D., Böhlken-Fascher, S., Kissenkötter, J., Behrmann, O., Frimpong, M., Moïse Diagne, M., Faye, M., Dia, N., Shalaby, M.A., Amer, H., Elgamal, M., Zaki, A., Ismail, G., Kaiser, M., Corman, V.M., Niedrig, M., Landt, O., Faye, O., Sall, A.A., Hufert, F.T., Truyen, U., Liebert, U.G., Weidmann, M. 2021. Suitcase lab for rapid detection of SARS-Cov-2 based on recombinase polymerase amplification assay. Anal Chem. 2;93(4):2627-2634.
- Tanneberger, F., Abd El Wahed, A., Fischer, M., Deutschmann, P., Roszyk, H., Carrau, T., Blome, S., Truyen, U. 2022. Efficacy of Liming Forest Soil in the Context of African Swine Fever Virus. Viruses 31;14(4):734.