Uwe Truyen graduated at the Hannover Veterinary School in 1986 and did his postgraduate studies at the Hannover Veterinary School, the James A Baker Institute at Cornell University in Ithaca, and the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich.
He obtained his Ph.D. equivalent (Habilitation) in virology in 1995 in Munich, and was appointed Professor for Molecular Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases in 1999. In 2003 he was appointed Professor for Epidemiology at the Veterinary Faculty of the University of Leipzig, and in 2006, he accepted the Professorship for Animal Hygiene and Control of Epidemic Diseases and the chair of the Institute of Animal Hygiene and Veterinary Public Health at the University of Leipzig.
His main interest has been for many years the molecular epidemiology of carnivore parvoviruses and feline caliciviruses, but has shifted in recent years on hygiene management and disinfection.
He is the editor-in-chief (Virology) of Veterinary Microbiology, chairman of the German standing veterinary vaccination committee (StIKo Vet), and chairman of the disinfection committee of the German Veterinary Association. He currently serves as the dean of the Veterinary faculty in Leipzig.
Uwe Truyen is married and has three children.
- Kaaden, O.-R., U. Truyen, M. H. Groschup, E. Kaiser, A. Uysal, H. Kretzschmar, J. Pohlenz und E. Dahme (1994). Bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Germany. J. Vet. Med. B 41, 294-304.
- Truyen, U., A. Gruenberg, S.-F. Chang, P. Veijalainen, B. Obermaier und C. R. Parrish (1995). Evolution of the feline subgroup parvoviruses and the control of canine host range. J. Virol. 69, 4702-4710.
- Geissler, K., K. Schneider, G. Platzer, B. Truyen, O.-R. Kaaden und U. Truyen (1997). Genetic and antigenic heterogeneity among feline calicivirus isolates from distinct disease cluster. Virus Res. 48, 193-206.
- Geissler, K., K. Schneider, A. Fleuchaus, C. R. Parrish, G. Sutter und U. Truyen (1999). Feline calicivirus capsid protein expression and capsid assembly in cultured feline cells. J. Virol. 73, 834-838.
- Friedrich, K. und U. Truyen (2000). Untersuchung der Wirksamkeit von Parvovirusimpfstoffen und der Effektivität zweier Impfschemata. Prakt. Tierarzt 81, 988-994.
- Steinel, A., L. Munson, M. Van Vuuren, und U. Truyen (2000). Genetic characterization of feline parvovirus sequences from various carnivores. J. Gen. Virol. 81, 345-350.
- Schwantes, A., U. Truyen, J. Weikel, C. Weiss und M. Löchelt. 2003. Recombinant feline foamy virus vaccine expressing feline calicivirus capsid protein gene sequences reduces the severity of disease in cats after calicivirus challenge. J. Virol. 77, 7830-7842.
- Shackelton, L.A., C.R. Parrish, U. Truyen und E. C. Holmes. 2005. High Rate of Viral Evolution Associated with the Emergence of Carnivore Parvovirus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA102, 379-384.
- S. Wilhelm, S. Essbauer und U. Truyen. 2008. Substitution of vaccinia virus Elstree by modified vaccinia virus Ankara MVA to test the virucidal efficacy of chemical disinfectants. Zoonoses and Public Health 55, 99-105.
- Streck AF, Bonatto SL, Homeier T, Souza CK, Gonçalves KR, Gava D, Canal CW, Truyen U. 2011. High rate of viral evolution in the capsid protein of porcine parvovirus. J Gen Virol. 92, 2628-36.