Tadeusz Frymus qualified from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (Poland), in 1974. Then he started working on infectious diseases at the same faculty as a clinician, lecturer and researcher.
In 1980, he obtained a PhD on the immunological response of foals vaccinated against equine herpesvirus type 1. From 1984 to 1986, he was an Alexander-von-Humboldt fellow at the University of Veterinary Medicine Hanover (Germany), where he studied the pathogenesis of porcine atrophic rhinitis, as well as vaccination against this disease. It was the subject of his habilitation completed 1989. Other subjects of scientific interest included immunology (bovine leucosis, trichinellosis, ascaridiosis, development of the immunological response in foals, immunological defects, role of cells in porcine lung and mammary secretions), and atrophic rhinitis in other species than pig.
Since the early 1990s his main scientific interests cover viral diseases of cats (leukemia, immunodeficiency virus infection, infectious peritonitis, rabies) and dogs (distemper), as well as epidemiology of goat diseases.
From 1990 to 1996, he was vice-dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Warsaw. From 1996 to 1999 he was head of the Clinic of Infectious Diseases and from 1997 to 1999, also the head of the Department of Infectious Diseases.
Currently, as a full professor he leads the Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Small Animal Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the Warsaw University of Life Sciences (SGGW). Since 1995, he heads the postgraduate study "Diseases of dogs and cats" at this faculty.
- Frymus T., Kita P., 1999: Epidemiology of feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) infections in Poland. Proc. 24-th World Small Animal Veterinary Congress, Lyon, 23.-26.09.1999.
- Kita P., Frymus T., Kapulkin W., 2002: Detection of feline coronavirus RNA in ascitic fluid and blood of naturally infected cats by RT-PCR. Abstr. of the II. Intern. FCoV/FIP Symposium, Glasgow 4-7.08.2002, p. 18.
- Jozwik A., Frymus T., Mizak B., Rezutka A., 2004: Antibody titres against canine distemper virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated dogs. J. Vet. Med. B, 51, 99-103.
- Jozwik A., Frymus T., 2005: Comparison of the immunofluorescence assay with RT-PCR and nested PCR in the diagnosis of canine distemper. Vet. Res. Communicat. 29, 347-359.
- Frymus T., Truyen U., 2008: Rabies in cats. Proc. ESFM Congr., Edinburgh, 97-103.
- Czopowicz M., Szalus-Jordanow O., Frymus T., 2010: Cerebral toxoplasmosis in a cat . Medycyna Wet. 66, 784-786.
- Czopowicz M., Szalus-Jordanow O., Frymus T., 2010: Zolpidem poisoning in a cat. Austr. Vet. J. 88, 326-327.
- Czopowicz M., Kaba J., Szalus-Jordanow O, Nowicki M., Witkowski L., Frymus T., 2011: Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii and Neospora caninum infections in goats in Poland. Vet. Parasitol., 178, 339–341.
- Szalus-Jordanow O., T. Kanbar, I. Soedarmanto, N. Eissa, J. Alber, C. Lammler. M. Zschock, R. Weiss, J. Kaba, Frymus T., 2011: Phenotypic and genotypic properties of Staphylococcus aureus subsp. anaerobius isolated from lymph node abscesses of goats, Berl. Münch. tierärztl. Wschrft 124, 123-127.
- Czopowicz M., J. Kaba, L. Smith, O. Szalus-Jordanow, M. Nowicki, L. Witkowski, Frymus T., 2011: Leptospiral antibodies in the breeding goat population of Poland. Vet. Rec. 169 (9), 230.
Corine Boucraut- Baralon
Marian C. Horzinek
Maria Grazia Pennisi