The multivalent laboratory receives 30’000 samples/year from patients of the teaching hospital and from zoos mainly for hematology, cytology, clinical chemical and serological and molecular analyses of infectious diseases. The Clinical Laboratory has been accredited by the European College of Veterinary Clinical Pathology (ECVCP).
Since 2011 she is Head of the Center for Clinical Studies, a core facility dedicated to support the laboratory-based clinical research of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (Vetsuisse Faculty) with more than 150 users from 27 research groups.
From 1998 to 2001, she was a researcher studying retrovirus infections at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School in Boston and in 2004 she received as the only veterinarian so far a professorship of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). Since 2010 she serves as President of the Swiss Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians.
Her main research interests are in clinical infectiology with a focus on retroviruses, haemoplasmas and infections in domestic and wild felids. She is the author of >250 publications in peer-reviewed journals in this field. Her research has been funded by the SNSF since 1998 and involves collaborations with many research groups worldwide.
Since 2017 she is also Head of the Department of Clinical Diagnostics and Services at the Vetsuisse Faculty and Member of the Executive Board of the Animal Hospital of the University of Zurich.
My list of ten selected publications:
- Nentwig A, ML Meli, J Schrack, IM Reichler, B Riond, C Gloor, J Howard, R Hofmann-Lehmann, B Willi. 2018. First report of Cytauxzoon sp. infection in domestic cats in Switzerland: natural and transfusion-transmitted infections. Parasit Vectors 11:292. doi: 10.1186/s13071-018-2728-5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29747680
- Novacco M, S Sugiarto, B Willi, J Baumann, AM Spiri, A Oestmann, B Riond, FS Boretti, H Naegeli, R Hofmann-Lehmann. 2018. Consecutive antibiotic treatment with doxycycline and marbofloxacin clears bacteremia in Mycoplasma haemofelis-infected cats. Vet Microbiol 217:112-120. doi: 10.1016/j.vetmic.2018.03.006. Epub 2018 Mar 10. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29615243
- Meli ML, A Berger, B Willi, AM Spiri, B Riond, R Hofmann-Lehmann. 2018. Molecular detection of feline calicivirus in clinical samples: a study comparing its detection by RT-qPCR directly from swabs and after virus isolation. qPCR directly from swabs and after virus isolation. J Virol Methods 251:54-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jviromet.2017.10.001. Epub 2017 Oct 3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28986291
- Willi B, Spiri AM, Melia ML, Samman A, Hoffmann K, Sydler T, Cattoria V, Graf F, Diserens KA, Padrutt I, Nesina S, Berger A, Ruetten M, Riond B, Hosie MJ, Hofmann-Lehmann R. 2016. Molecular characterization and virus neutralization patterns of severe, non-epizootic forms of feline calicivirus infections resembling virulent systemic disease in cats in Switzerland and in Liechtenstein. Vet Microbiol 182:202-12. doi: 10.1016/j.vetmic.2015.10.015. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26711049
- Nesina S, Helfer-Hungerbuehler K, Riond B, Boretti FS, Willi B, Marina M, Grest P, Hofmann-Lehmann R. 2015. Retroviral DNA—the silent winner: blood transfusion containing latent feline leukemia provirus causes infection and disease in naïve recipient cats. Retrovirology 12:105. doi: 10.1186/s12977-015-0231-z. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26689419
- Berger A, Willi B, Meli ML, Boretti FS, Hartnack S, Dreyfus A, Lutz H, Hofmann-Lehmann R. 2015. Feline calicivirus and other respiratory pathogens in cats with feline calicivirus-related symptoms and in clinically healthy cats in Switzerland. BMC Vet Res 13;11:282. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0595-2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26566897
- Helfer-Hungerbuehler AK, AM Spiri, B Riond, P Grest, FS Boretti, Regina Hofmann-Lehmann. 2015. No benefit of therapeutic vaccination in clinically healthy cats persistently infected with feline leukemia virus. Vaccine. 33:1578-85. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.02.009. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25698488
- Baumann J, M Novacco, B Willi, B Riond, ML Meli, FS Boretti, R Hofmann-Lehmann. 2015. Lack of cross-protection against Mycoplasma haemofelisinfection and signs of enhancement in ‘CandidatusMycoplasma turicensis’-recovered cats. Vet Res 46:104. doi: 10.1186/s13567-015-0240-x. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26403079
- Hofmann-Lehmann R, V Cattori, R Tandon, FS Boretti, ML Meli, B Riond, AC Pepin, B Willi, P Ossent, H Lutz. 2007. Vaccination against the feline leukaemia virus: Outcome and response categories and long-term follow-up. Vaccine 25: 5531-5539. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17240486
- Willi B, FS Boretti, V Cattori,S Tasker, ML Meli,CE Reusch, H Lutz, R Hofmann-Lehmann. 2005. Identification, molecular characterization and experimental transmission of a new hemoplasma isolate from a cat with hemolytic anemia in Switzerland. J Clin Microbiol 43: 2581-2585. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15956367
Corine Boucraut- Baralon
Marian C. Horzinek
Maria Grazia Pennisi