Following the completion of her PhD studies in 1991, her research has focused on the fields of lentiviral pathogenesis and vaccination and she has instigated and maintains collaborative links with several research laboratories in Europe, the USA and Japan.
She is Professor of Comparative Virology in the MRC- University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research. She leads research projects investigating the pathogenesis of FIV infection in the domestic cat as a model immunodeficiency-causing lentivirus and the use of this model in the development and evaluation of effective vaccine strategies.
In 2002 she was awarded Recognised Specialist status in Pathology (Microbiology) by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in recognition of her contributions to the fields of lentiviral pathogenesis and vaccination.
- Dietrich, I., McMonagle, E.L. , Petit, S.J., Vijayakrishnan, S. , Logan, N. , Chan, C.N., Towers, G.J., Hosie, M.J. , and Willett, B.J. (2011) Feline tetherin efficiently restricts release of feline immunodeficiency virus but not spreading of infection. Journal of virology, 85 (12). pp. 5840-5852. ISSN 0022-538X.
- Samman, A., McMonagle, E.L. , Logan, N. , Willett, B.J. , Biek, R. , and Hosie, M.J. (2011) Phylogenetic characterisation of naturally occurring feline immunodeficiency virus in the United Kingdom. Veterinary Microbiology, 150 (3-4). pp. 239-247. ISSN 0378-1135.
- Samman, A., Logan, N. , McMonagle, E.L. , Ishida, T., Mochizuki, M., Willett, B.J. , and Hosie, M.J. (2010) Neutralization of feline immunodeficiency virus by antibodies targeting the V5 loop of Env. Journal of General Virology, 91 (1). pp. 242-249. ISSN 0022-1317.
- Willett, B.J., Kraase, M., Logan, N., McMonagle, E.L., Samman, A., and Hosie, M.J. (2010) Modulation of the virus-receptor interaction by mutations in the V5 loop of feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) following in vivo escape from neutralising antibody. Retrovirology, 7 . p. 38. ISSN 1742-4690.
- Willett, B.J., McMonagle, E.L. , Logan, N. , Schneider, P., and Hosie, M.J. (2009) Enforced covalent trimerisation of soluble feline CD134 (OX40)-ligand generates a functional antagonist of feline immunodeficiency virus. Molecular immunology, 46 (6). pp. 1020-1030. ISSN 0161-5890McEwan, W.A., McMonagle, E.L. , Logan, N. , Serra, R.C., Kat, P.
- Vandewoude, S., Hosie, M.J. , and Willett, B.J. (2008) Genetically divergent strains of feline immunodeficiency virus from the domestic cat (Felis catus) and the African lion (Panthera leo) share usage of CD134 and CXCR4 as entry receptors. Journal of Virology, 82 (21). pp. 10953-10958. ISSN 0022-538X.
- Hosie, M.J., and Beatty, J.A. (2007) Vaccine protection against feline immunodeficiency virus: setting the challenge. Australian Veterinary Journal, 85 (1-2). pp. 5-12. ISSN 0005-0423.
- Willett, B.J., McMonagle, E.L., Bonci, F., Pistello, M., and Hosie, M.J. (2006) Mapping the domains of CD134 as a functional receptor for feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). Journal of Virology, 80 (15). pp. 7744-7747. ISSN 0022-538X.
- Hosie, M.J. et al. (2005) Vaccination with an Inactivated Virulent Feline Immunodeficiency Virus Engineered to Express High Levels of Env. Journal of Virology, 79 (3). pp. 1954-1957. ISSN 0022-538X.
- Willett, B.J., Flynn, J.N., and Hosie, M.J. (1997) FIV infection of the domestic cat: an animal model for AIDS. Immunology Today, 18 (4). pp. 182-9. ISSN 0167-5699.
Corine Boucraut- Baralon
Marian C. Horzinek
Maria Grazia Pennisi