Fulvio Marsilio was born in Bari on 20 december 1960. He graduated in Veterinary Medicine from the University of Bari (Italy) in 1985 and obtained a degree in "Prophylaxis in infectious diseases of animals" from the School for the Scientific Research at Brescia in 1986, while working at the Virology and Molecular Biology Laboratories of the Istituto Zooprofilattico of Brescia. He obtained a PhD in Veterinary Parasitology from the University of Bari in 1989. From 1990 to 1994 he worked at the Institute of Infectious Diseases of Animals of the Bari Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and since 1994 he is researcher in infectious animal diseases at the Termano Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In November 1996, he attended the Institut für Virologie der Tierärztlichen Hochschule of Hannover (Germany), where he worked on the biomolecular typing of canine distemper virus strains. Currently, he is full professor in infectious diseases of animals and teaches infectious animal diseases (including infectious diseases in companion animals and livestock) at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Teramo. From december 2005 to march 2013 he was the Dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Teramo and from 2009 to 2013 Vice-Rector of the University of Teramo. His research areas are the etiology, the pathogenesis, the diagnosis and prophylaxis of the infectious diseases of the dog, cat and small ruminants.
To date he is (November 2021):
- Member of the Regional Board for Zooprophylaxis and of the Crisis Unity for Avian flu at the Veterinary Services of the Abruzzo Region;
- Coordinator of the post-graduate course on Veterinary Rehabilitation” at the University of Teramo;
- Coordinator of the PhD degree on Veterinary medical sciences, public health and animal well-being;
- Coordinator of the research project “Demetra” (MIUR, Dipartimenti di Eccellenza, 2018-2022) at the University of Teramo;
- Director of the post-graduate school in Animal Health, Farming and Production at the University of Teramo;
- Member of the Veterinary Drugs Committe at the Italian Ministry of Health.
My list of last 10 selected publications
- Di Martino B, Di Profio F, Robetto S, Fruci P, Sarchese V, Palombieri A, Melegari I, Orusa R, Martella V, Marsilio F. Molecular Survey on Kobuviruses in Domestic and Wild Ungulates From Northwestern Italian Alps. Front Vet Sci. 2021, 8:679337. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2021.679337. eCollection 2021.
- Ludwig-Begall LF, Di Felice E, Toffoli B, Ceci C, Di Martino B, Marsilio F, Mauroy A, Thiry E. Analysis of Synchronous and Asynchronous In Vitro Infections with Homologous Murine Norovirus Strains Reveals Time-Dependent Viral Interference Effects. 2021, 13(5):823. doi: 10.3390/v13050823.
- Capozza P, Martella V, Lanave G, Beikpour F, Di Profio F, Palombieri A, Sarchese V, Marsilio F, La Rosa G, Suffredini E, Camero M, Buonavoglia C, Di Martino B. A surveillance study of hepatitis E virus infection in household cats. Res Vet Sci. 2021, 137:40-43. doi: 10.1016/j.rvsc.2021.04.022.
- Di Francesco CE, Smoglica C, Profeta F, Farooq M, Di Giannatale E, Toscani T, Marsilio F. Research Note: Detection of antibiotic-resistance genes in commercial poultry and turkey flocks from Italy. Poult Sci. 2021, 100(5):101084. doi: 10.1016/j.psj.2021.101084.
- Palombieri A, Robetto S, Di Profio F, Sarchese V, Fruci P, Bona MC, Ru G, Orusa R, Marsilio F, Martella V, Di Martino B. Surveillance Study of Hepatitis E Virus (HEV) in Domestic and Wild Ruminants in Northwestern Italy. Animals (Basel). 2020, 10(12):2351. doi: 10.3390/ani10122351.
- Palombieri A, Di Profio F, Lanave G, Capozza P, Marsilio F, Martella V, Di Martino B. Molecular detection and characterization of Carnivore chaphamaparvovirus 1 in dogs. Vet Microbiol. 2020, 251:108878. doi: 10.1016/j.vetmic.2020.108878.
- Smoglica C, Di Francesco CE, Angelucci S, Antonucci A, Innocenti M, Marsilio F. Occurrence of the tetracycline resistance gene tetA(P) in Apennine wolves (Canis lupus italicus) from different human-wildlife interfaces. J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2020, 23:184-185. doi: 10.1016/j.jgar.2020.09.011.
- Day MJ, Carey S, Clercx C, Kohn B, Marsilio F, Thiry E, Freyburger L, Schulz B, Walker DJ.J. Aetiology of Canine Infectious Respiratory Disease Complex and Prevalence of its Pathogens in Europe. Comp Pathol. 2020, 176:86-108. doi: 10.1016/j.jcpa.2020.02.005.
- Di Martino B, Lanave G, Di Profio F, Melegari I, Marsilio F, Camero M, Catella C, Capozza P, Bányai K, Barrs VR, Buonavoglia C, Martella V. Identification of feline calicivirus in cats with enteritis. Transbound Emerg Dis. 2020, 67(6):2579-2588. doi: 10.1111/tbed.13605.
- Di Martino B, Di Profio F, Melegari I, Marsilio F. Feline Virome-A Review of Novel Enteric Viruses Detected in Cats. Viruses. 2019, 11(10):908. doi: 10.3390/v11100908.